Thursday, September 18, 2008

GLBTQ-Related Hate Crimes on the Rise in DC

Tony Randolph Hunter was beaten outside of a gay bar in DC last week. He died today.

It just fucking sucks.

I guess it's just getting to me because I'm really stressed out and I'm in the middle of rehearsing for the Laramie Project...and it's just like sometimes to get through it you have to think that it's all getting better, you know? And it's like here's a guy who was walking out of a bar and now he's dead and for no reason...and it's not getting better.

I'm just sick of it. I'm sick of being in my own bubble and forgetting what it's like out there for me because every time I get pulled back into it it just makes it harder.

Every GLBTQ person who I hear about is another Matthew to me now. A person with a soul and a family and friends and people who love them. They were all a part of my community...

And I want to feel something...I want to feel this. I don't want their deaths to be meaningless. I want people to feel sad. I want people to feel responsible. I want people to feel things so that they want to change things.

ugh I don't know what else to say.

I'm disgusted with the world.

To:

Tony Randolph Hunter
Ebony Whitaker
Saneshia Stewart
Simmie Williams

others who I am forgetting who have been killed this year

rest in peace

No comments: