Thursday, November 20, 2008

International Transgender Day of Remembrance

Well I was going to post specifically about the 30 transmen and transwomen who have been murdered this past year. Except my post was too large. I didn't even know that could happen.

It's kind of striking that there were too many transgender people murdered this year for me to be able to fit them all in one entry.

Instead, I urge you all to visit this website, which has a description of every person we are remembering today. Although Bryn Mawr/Philadelphia does not have any specific events planned (that I am aware of?), just take a moment to educate yourself about what's happening in the US and around the world.

Note that the majority of victims are transwomen of color. This is a....huge problem, to say the least. I feel like every few weeks I read that another transwoman of color has gone missing or has been found dead.  And of course their deaths are not widely publicized, which is another huge, huge problem.

These people deserve to be remembered today.


 

No comments: