Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a bittersweet night...

Right now I can hear all of the Obama supporters still cheering from my window (which pretty much means all of Bryn Mawr's campus). I was extremely excited that Barack Obama will be our next president. Yet, I can't sit here and pretend that I'm not disappointed.

While I listened tonight to Barack Obama's speech for change and for taking the first step, I cried. This is the change our country needs. To see a man who inspires so many people and who so genuinely believes in the hopeful future of our country is ... beyond words.

Yet the fact remains that for many of us, the first step was not taken. In fact, we took several steps back.

We lost in Arkansas, Arizona and Florida tonight. And we probably lost in California. And it worries me that people who overwhelmingly wanted “change” - i.e., voted for Obama - don’t think that this change should include full civil rights for gays and lesbians.

I am trying to remain hopeful. And I am hopeful in the future of the United States with Barack Obama as president. I am happy that the abortion ban failed in South Dakota. I do believe we are headed in the right direction.

But it's hard to remain optimistic when you were just blatantly told by your country that your rights don't matter.

No comments: